I’ve been reading Volker Ullrich’s ‘Hitler: Ascent‘ and finding it quite illuminating.
The point of this tongue-in-cheek series is to point out Trump’s authoritarian parallels…remember, Hitler rose to power legally, while continuing his attacks on order, truth and social norms. We cannot wait until Trump gets ‘just as bad’ to start defending the conventions and norms which are the unwritten foundation of this Republic.
Our second installment of Trump or Hitler. Hint, answer to all these questions is both.
- Who complained his country was a ‘laughingstock’ of the world? (p. 230)
- Who appealed strongly in rural areas, less so in cities? (pp. 213-214, 239)
- Who, before coming to power, continually railed about the ‘collapse’ of the country, ignoring signs of economic progress? (p.201)
- Who hurled opinions in vulgar terms, ignoring facts? (p.201)
- Who was thought of as a social outsider, and a clown at the beginning of his political career? (pp. 126-129)
- Who rarely if ever drank alcohol? (p. 407)
More to come…